Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fajitas

Everyone needs to realize that you must purchase skirt steak. I am not insulting anyone's intelligence. But marketing has something out there (at least H.E.B. does, anyway) that they conveniently set right next to the skirt steak which they label "beef for fajitas". Look away. That is not skirt steak. It's the hot dog of skirt steak, or the 'can you guess what I am' version.

Secondly, I like to have a phone handy. And a beer. So this should be done after 5 o'clock. My dad and I have this deal where we call one another if we're making fajitas. We drink a beer together over the wire and pretty much say the same thing every time.

"hey. whatcha doin? I'm making some B.A.F.'s" - that's bad-ass fajitas. Learn the lingo.

You should also have a spiked mallet(metal works best), unless you choose to get the tenderized version where they do the work for you- just know they don't always trim all of the fat, so it's on your conscience. But you'll be missing out on letting out the weeks frustrations on all the meat. And though your forearms may thank you, I suggest you go through the whole process at least once. It's sordof a right of passage with this recipe.

Lastly, the fajita seasoning is gonna make or break you. I use Fiesta brand. The label reads, extra fancy mesquite flavored Fajita seasoning. If you use another brand, it's gonna change the flavor. I have experimented. or had an emergency trip to Wal-Mart because I was out- and Wal-Mart doesn't carry Fiesta brand spices. If you can't find it, you're basically S.O.L. Basically.

Enough with the details. Here's what you'll need.

* skirt steak
* mallet (for tenderizing)
* fajita seasoning (Fiesta brand- extra fancy mesquite flavored)
* very sharp knife
* brown sugar
* cayenne pepper
* adolph's meat tenderizer
* secret ingredient
*zip-lock bags
* beer. ice cold (or this could work)



get comfortable. If you are going to trim the fajitas yourself, just know that it's not an easy job. Unless you have awesome cutlery, which I do not, so everyone out there just humor me and convince yourself that you're gonna be at this for awhile. Hence, the beer.

Once that's all done, bust out the mallet. Be warned that raw carnage will probably fly in various directions, the kids should steer clear of the area, and there will be intense sanitizing just after. I told y'all this is work. Also, you shouldn't have children who are napping because it is a very loud process. I'm just saying. I like to pound the living daylight out of the meat starting from the center and working my way out. It's the mexican version of pounding out a chicken breast for chicken parmigiana. And I do both sides. Does it make a difference? Heck if I know. But, that's how I do it and noone likes chewy fajitas, so you make the call..

Next you're going to massage the meat with the fajita seasoning and meat tenderizer. No need for zen music or incense. Usually a sporting event playing in the background from the t.v. will suffice. But you do want to do BOTH sides. sprinkle evenly over the meat and then just rub it in.

Now you will sparingly sprinkle both the brown sugar and cayenne over the meat. Sparingly, not miserly. You can adjust the cayenne and brown sugar to your taste level the next time. Or omit it. Whatever, it's your bbq. but these should also be massaged in. Again, both sides. cover the meat and let it sit in the fridge for at least a couple of hours to let the fajita seasoning work it's magic.


Then comes the secret ingredient. Barbecue sauce. Yes. I like to choose a thick and spicy or a sweet and spicy like a spicy brown sugar. Just put the meat in huge zip bags, cover with sauce, swoosh it around so every bit is covered and refrigerate overnight and the majority of the next day.

Once it's grilling time, just remove from the bags and you can leave as much or as little sauce as you choose.

While the meat is cooking, head inside to start on your homemade tortillas.



o.k., I don't make homemade tortillas. I just drink a beer and talk about how I'm going to... some day.


**update** I almost forgot. You can always add a little beer along with the sauce to keep things happy. And you can get creative with which sauce you choose too. My father used a sweet vidalia onion dressing a few times that was pretty decent.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

I just drooled on my shirt...people are going to think I fell asleep at work.

And the hunt begins for Fiesta brand extra fancy mesquite flavored Fajita seasoning!

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

Oh Hallelujah! You finally published. And I didn't do it right - I didn't use the brown sugar, didn't tenderize with either mallet or Adolf's. No beer either but that's not ever gonna change. But next time I'll do the tenderizing and the brown sugar - I KNEW something wasn't right 'cause they didn't taste like Tim's.

Thank ye! Thank ye! And I've got my ingredients for fresh guacamole as well - oh bliss....

P.S. I always have homemade tortillas - the kind they make FRESH at H.E.B.! :)

rebekca said...

woops! Thanks for reminding me, Cheri. Adolph's is the tenderizer that I use. use that along with the fiesta, brown sugar, and cayenne...

sorry guys! I just have all the staples in the cupboard and was going off the top of my head.

Mommy said...

I think I'm making fajita's on Sunday!! Some prep work on Saturday...and YUMMY-ness on Sunday!

emily said...

Dude, you are funny and clever and my dad drink a beer and grill together too :) And listen to Jimmy Buffett

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also.